Cold winter nights and this easy Shepards / Cottage Pie is a super body warmer! Its not only great for that cold night but perfect for freezing for a quick freezer meal . This dinner is another for the kids, especially when you can hide vegetables inside!
Ingredients: Makes 6-8
- 1kg Mince Beef
- 500ml Of Beef Stock
- 2 x 140g Tubs Of Tomato Paste
- 6 – 8 Large Potatoes
- 500g Of Shredded Cheese
- 1 x Onion Diced
- 1 x Cup Of Mixed Peas & Corn
- 2 x Medium Carrots Grated
- 1 x Large Zucchini Grated
- 1 x Large Lasagne Size Non Stick Baking Dish
1. Prepare your vegetables. Grate your carrots and zucchini. Dice your onion. Put aside your carrots, zucchini, onion, peas and corn.
2. Peel and dice your potatoes. Place in a saucepan of water and bring to the boil, until soft ready for mashing.
3. Whilst your potatoes are cooking, In a large pan cook your mince beef. Instead of using oil cook in 1cm of water for a healthier option. As it browns add and stir in your prepared vegetables.
4. Mix in your beef stock & tomato paste well, bring all to the boil stirring occasionally for 10-20 minutes. Then reduce to a low simmer for 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
5.Whilst your meat is simmering make your mashed potato by doing the following. Drain your potatoes cubes and then place back into the saucepan. Add salt, pepper and enough margarine/butter to use to mash (no milk) You want a mashed but still firm consistency not runny.
6. Once your meat filling has simmered place spoon into your baking dish, draining any excess liquid as you do. Spread your mashed potato evenly on top covering the entire dish. Top with grated cheese and place into the oven on 220c. Cooking until the top browns and crusts slightly. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Tip – Letting your Shepards Pie rest for 5 minutes before serving will help keep it from being too sloppy when serving. It will also make it easier for you to separate into containers for freezing any excess.