Its another warm vegetable idea for all the cold weather that's currently hitting our way. Scalloped Potatoes has always been such a favorite in this house
Ingredients: Serves 4 as a side dish
- 6 x Medium Potatoes
- 200g Middle Bacon Diced
- 1 x Small Onion
- 4 x Tablespoon of Butter/Margarine
- 2 x Cups Of Milk
- 4 x Tablespoons Of Flour
- Shredded Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- Casserole Size Dish
1. Heat 4 tablespoons of butter or margarine in a hot pan. This may seem like a lot but it is necessary for the portion of the recipe.
2. Cut off the fat and dice your bacon and also onion. Put in the hot pan and cook. Turn off heat when done whilst you do the next step.
3. Peel and thinly slice your potatoes to approx 5mm thick. The thicker they are the longer it will take to cook so try and keep to thinly sliced. Add them to the pan and mix well with your bacon and onion on a medium heat.
4. Whisk together your milk, flour, salt and pepper. Pour into your pan. Using a spatula gently keep flipping until the liquid has started to thicken then turn off the heat.
5. Lightly grease a casserole size dish on the bottom and all edges. Fill with your potato mix, sprinkle shredded cheese on top and cover with foil.
6. Place in the oven on 220c and cook for 30 minutes. Check to see if potatoes have softened by placing a knife through the middle. If they are not yet feeling cooked then put back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes still with teh foil on.
7. Once potatoes are feeling soft remove the foil and place back into the oven to crisp up the cheese top. Your scallope potatoes with bacon are done when your cheese is golden colour.
Serve as a side dish with your favorite meat and selection of vegetables.
Tip – This dish can be easily bulk cooked, broken down and frozen for later. To do so double or triple the recipe, cooking in large tin foil cooking trays and then break down freezing in smaller containers. When in need defrost and then reheat.