With the abundance of lemons on our tree and school holidays on this week I was looking for something quick and simple I could do for play dates. So this Lemon Slice Bites recipe was the winner!
Ingredients: Serves 20+
- 400g Marie Biscuits
- 395g Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 x Good Sized Lemons
- 250g Butter At Room Tempreture
- 1 x Cup Of Icing Sugar
- 1-2 x Tablespoons Of Milk
- 1/4 Cup Of Desiccated Coconut
- 8 Inch Square Tin
1. In a plastic zip lock bag place some marie biscuits inside, seal and use a rolling pin to crush. Put aside in a big mixing bowl. I like to leave a few bigger pieces in there for some great crunch. Continue until you have done all of the biscuits.
2. Grate the zest of 1 lemon and juice 6 tablespoons of lemon juice.
3. In your mixing bowl add your condensed milk, 150g of melted butter, lemon zest and 5 tablespoons of lemon juice. Mix well until well combined and a little moist.
4. Grease your pan and line with baking paper. Spoon all of your biscuit mixture into the pan evenly and press firmly. Place in the fridge whilst you make your icing.
5. In a mixing bowl add your icing sugar, 100g of room temperature butter, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of milk. Mix with an electric blender until fluffy.
6. Take your pan out of the fridge and evenly spread your icing. Sprinkle as much coconut on top as you wish. Place back in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours to set. The longer the better for cutting.
7. When your ready remove from fridge, lift out of tin via the baking paper and sit on a chopping board. Using a large knife cut into long sections then cut those into smaller bite size portions.
Store in a sealed container in your fridge. Freeze any you wish to save for another time.
Tip – Freezing your slice is so easy. Wrap any excess slice you wish to save in a new sheet of baking paper and then wrap in glad wrap or place in a large zip lock bag removing the air. When wanting to use, either remove from freezer into room temperature at least 1 hour before serving or into fridge the night before.