Lasagne Roll Ups are as simple as making a full lasagne, just a little more healthier and quick to cook. You can premake your bologaise meat on another day and just pull out of the freezer to make these on a night you need a simple quick family dinner idea. They are also a great size for kids!
Ingredients: Makes 12
- Already made bolognaise meat mix (see Mr J’s Spaghetti Bolognaise recipe or have your own)
- 4 x tablespoons of flour
- 2 x tablespoons of butter
- 2 x cups of milk
- 16 x lasagne sheets (Its good to have the extra in case you tare)
- 500g of shredded cheese
- Fresh flat leaf parsley diced
- Salt & pepper
- Baking paper
1. Preparing your White Sauce - In a saucepan on a low heat melt your butter. Take off heat as soon as it’s melted and mix in your flour until it is a smooth paste. Return to heat stirring continuously on a low temp for around 1-2 minutes until it forms more of a dough. Add your milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Using a whisk continue to stir on a higher heat until it looks to be just boiling. You need to use a whisk to ensure the dough breaks down and dissolves. As soon as you start to see signs of boiling, turn off the heat. Keep stirring for another minute then leave to stand for 5 minutes to thicken. If you find it has not thickened add a little more flour and whisk through.
Whilst your white sauce is standing. You need to prepare your lasagna pasta sheets and heat up your premade bolognaise meat.
2. To heat your lasagna pasta sheets, you will need a large pan (such as a frying pan) that you can put on your stove top. Lay your lasagna pasta sheets flat in your pan in a cross pattern to help keep separate.
3. Fill your pan with water as you would when cooking any pasta and place on the stove on a high heat. Cook only until your sheets are soft enough to bend. BE SURE NOT TO OVERCOOK OR THEY WILL TARE. Lay them out flat on baking paper to cool down to warm.
4. Whilst sheets are cooling heat up your premade bolognaise meat.
Making Your Roll Ups
1. Preheat your oven at 180c (fan forced). Prepare a baking tray/pan with a spray of oil to ensure no sticking.
2. With your sheets still laying flat on your baking paper spread white sauce to cover each entire sheet.
3. Next, lay a layer of your bolognaise meat mix from top to bottom of each sheet leaving at least a 1.5 – 2cm from the edge clear. This will help allow for mixture spreading.
4. Start rolling your sheets towards you. Careful not to do too tight as it does have filling that will spill. Once rolled place on your baking tray with the seal side down and at least 2cm apart.
5. Spoon white sauce on top and sprinkle well with shredded cheese and a little parsley.
6. Once your tray is filled put in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until cheese is melted well and a golden brown at the edges. Serve with a side of Greek salad.
TIP - 2 x Lasagne Roll Ups are an average serve for one adult when served with a side of salad. If you do have left overs these roll ups are so easy to freeze simply by cooling first and then placing 1-2 side by side in a zip lock bag. Freeze flat and then you can move them vertical once frozen if you need to for space in your freezer. To heat simply just defrost and heat in the microwave when needed.