Chicken Enchiladas are a great go to for a quick and easy dinner.The chicken mixture is also great for freezing as a quick go to on a late night home from family adventures if you want to precook. The best thing about these are you can hide vegetables in them from the fussy! Served with a light salad and/or some rice and you have a delicious family dinner.
Ingredients: Serves - makes 8 large
- 500g Diced Chicken
- 8 x Tortillas
- 1 x Taco Mix
- 1 x Onion Diced
- 1 x Red Capsicum Diced
- 1 x Medium Zucchini Grated
- 1 x Medium Carrot Grated
- Sour Cream
- Grated Cheese
- Tomato or BBQ sauce
Method:1. Preheat your oven on 150c. Prepare a baking tray with either a light spray of oil or baking paper.
2. Start cooking in a pan your diced chicken in 1 cm of water on a medium heat (water is healthier than oil and will keep your meat much more tender).
3. Whilst your chicken is cooking dice your onion and capsicum then add to your pan. Grate your carrot and zucchini adding also to the pan and stirring all through. Add a little more water if your pan dries out before your chicken is cooked. You can check your chicken by cutting one in half to make sure it is cooked through.
4. Once your chicken is cooked make up your taco mix as per packet directions and pour into pan. Mix to make sure all contents is covered. Simmer on a low heat stirring regularly until mixture has thickened.
5. Prepare your tortillas. Lay tortillas flat. Lay a line of sauce from top to bottom through the middle. Sprinkle a small amount of grated cheese. Spoon your chicken mixture into the center. Take one side of the tortilla and roll up until completely done. Place onto your prepared baking tray with the end laying on the bottom so it does not all come undone. Spoon sour cream over the top, then sauce and lastly grated cheese.
6. Once you have made up all of your enchiladas place into the oven and cook until cheese is well melted and a little golden. If you find your tortilla edges are burning reduce your heat. Serve with a side of salad.
Tip – If you do not want to make as many, you can freeze what chicken mixture you do not use. At another time defrost, heat and then make up on tortillas from step 5.