For lunch times on the weekend and school holidays I try and do something different rather than the usual sandwiches to mix it up for the kids. Homemade Sausage rolls are a big favorite here and so simple to make (and hide vegetables). Its a great recipe to do with the kids too. Nothing beats a homemade sausage roll!
Ingredients: Makes 48
- 500g Sausage Mince
- 500g Mince Beef
- 1 x Large Carrot Grated
- 1/2 x Small Onion Diced
- 1 x Medium Zucchini Grated
- 1 x Pack Of 'Hamburger Helper'
- 6 x Puff Pastry Sheets
- 1 x Cup Of Water
- Margarine/Butter For Brushing
1. Pre-heat your oven on 200c.
2. If your pastry sheets are frozen bring out onto the bench to thaw. Separate sheets when you can keeping the separation paper still on the underside.
3. Prepare your vegetables. Grate your carrots and zucchini. Dice your onion.
4. Prepare your hamburger helper by whisking together 1 cup of water and your packet in a separate small bowl.
4. In a large mixing bowl, mix together with a wooden spoon, your sausage mince, mince beef & vegetables. Add 1/2 cup of your 'Hamburger Helper' and mix further until combined well. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
5. When your pastry sheet are thawed enough to move without breaking cut each sheet in half horizontal.
6. Spoon your mixture from left to right through the middle, leaving approx 1 cm on each end to allow for spillage. Bring up both edges to seal. Turn your sausage roll over so the seal is on the bottom. Cut in half and then half again. Prick holes with a fork and place on a oven proof non stick tray. Keep at least 2cm between each roll to allow for pastry to puff.
7. Cook in your oven for 40 minutes until pastry is puffed and a golden brown. Be sure to check that your meat is cooked before removing. If no cover with foil to allow further cooking without burning.
Tip – Sausage Rolls are a fantastic option for freezing to have on other days. Don't feel they are restricted to just lunch times, serve with a side of vegetables for a easy dinner option.