Bella Apartments – 250 City Road, Southbank, Vic, Australia - was our choice of accommodation for a family of 4 (2 adults + 2 children 6yr and 1yr) on our recent visit to Melbourne. We wanted somewhere close to Crown Casino - not for gambling, but for food , entertainment and the Melbourne Exhibition Center on South Bank for a show we were going to. Bella Apartments was the perfect choice and certainly somewhere we will now stay on future visits to Melbourne. Our room was #1805.
Watch the vlog below for a tour of our apartment!
Visit This Mum At Home's 'Travel Vlog Playlist' on You Tube for more family travel adventures.
Price - from $179 for a standard 2 bedroom apartment on Expedia Travel. Other more deluxe apartments are on offer for higher rates.
DISCOUNT OFFER – Members can receive specials & further discounts. I received this stay for only $99 due to redeeming some travel points through Expedia Travel I already had, but for a 2 bedroom apartment so close to the city I think the going rates are of great value.
- Location – The location turned out to be supurb!!! It is literally a 2 minute walk to crown and was within 10 minutes to the Exhibition Center and water front.
- Cheaper Parking Option - I had read reviews about the parking at Bella Apartments not being the greatest and very expensive. As we approached the apartments we did not know where to park and just so happened to see the Crown Casino car park on the same block down Clark street. We parked in here on level 5. We were there for 2 days (not moving the car) and only paid $16 for the entire park! Friday, Saturday and public holidays are a little more expensive, but still cheaper than using the hotels parking. To get to Bella Apartments quickly park on level 5, take elevators right down to ground floor (where King Pin & Playtime are), as you come out of the elevator you will see ‘Playtime’ game place in front of you and doors to outside on your right. Go out the doors and walk right only around 50 meters and you are at Bella Apartments on the corner of that block!
- Self Contained Apartment – Our apartment had everything we needed for our short stay and what we would have needed for a longer. Rooms included basic cook wear/dishes, microwave, FULL size fridge/freezer, washer, dryer, beds, usual hotel toiletries, linen, iron/ironing board, DVD player, 2 x TV, 2 x showers (no bath), hair dryer, stovetop, split system cooling/heating, beds (porta cot available for extra fee – I brought my own), hairdryer, desk, wifi & cable channels. It is said there are phones in all rooms, however I am not sure if what we saw was a phone as it looked strange and seemed to not be working with no power.
- Clean & Tidy – The apartment on arrival was clean and tidy through out. Not a speck of dust to be seen & bathrooms had been cared for.
- FREE Wifi & Cable TV Options – Being that I do my work via the internet I was so excited to find that the wifi was free and actually had a great speed and connection! Along with this each TV has the capability to connect to Netflix, You Tube and other cable networks if you are already members to sign in.
- Amazing Views – We were in apartment #1805 on the 18th floor (there are 33 floors) The view from the living area and then from our bedroom/balcony was wonderful, especially at night! Just stunning. I loved waking up the next morning with such a great view from the bed as it faced out to the balcony.
- Bella Café visitor discount – There is a café down stairs that offers a 10% discount when you show your room key. They made a super coffee and although we didn’t get to eat there the food looked amazing!
- Woolworths Across The Road – This was such a blessing for us as a family, especially with a 1 year old needing milk for her bottle. Being that we were in an apartment we could have done a full grocery shop across the road and stocked up the kitchen if we were staying longer.
- Bella Parking Overpriced – As said above we took a different option to actually using their parking. If you do decide to use their parking area it is $25 per night and I have read on other reviews that it is very small and limited. I would suggest using Crowns parking on Clarke street as said above for a much lower price.
- Not A 24hr Front Desk – On making my booking and when checking in at reception I was told that reception was there 24 hours if I needed anything. Very late I called the front desk to ask a question about check out and a security guard answered. He informed me no one from reception was there and he couldn’t help me as he was just security? I was told to call back in the morning. He also said that he would leave a note for the reception person coming in. When I called they had no idea I had called & talked with a security guard. I would suggest not telling people that it is 24 hour front reception as it is not. The security guard cannot help you at all and clearly couldn’t even leave a note as he said he would!
- Towels Need To Be Replaced –Although they were clean towels you could tell that they were a few years old. They were very worn, rough and not the usual standard you get in 4.5 star accommodation. White was no longer white.
- Carpets – This is really a minor thing to point out, but am as I know this would bother some. The carpet in the apartment is a very light cream colour and through the living room/kitchen there were some marks and stains. I kind of expect this to be so on such a light coloured carpet. It’s the first accommodation I have been in that doesn’t have a grey or similar darker colour.
- Maybe Small For Some – For our size family with young children this apartment was perfect for us even if we had stayed longer. It is though quiet small if you had all adults. There is only one couch that would not fit 4 adults to sit on. You could however use the dinning chairs. If you’re a larger family or would like more space then I would suggest staying in perhaps the executive 2 bedroom apartment. For us even when the kids get older we can make do with this size apartment at 57sq meters.
We feel like this is the best place we could have been (aside from in Crown itself). For the price having a full apartment and so close to Crown was perfect. Especially being we could take advantage of Crowns parking for much less than what any accommodation in the area was charging. It was a very short walk to entertainment, the river front, the Exhibition Center and even into the city if you wanted to go that far.
The apartment had everything we needed for our stay and for if we were staying longer. Any food & personal items that we needed to buy and bring back to the hotel was easily accessible from the Woolworths supermarket across the road.
Lastly the views were truly beautiful from apartment #1805’s master bedroom. It made the stay for us. I would actually love to see the views from higher up and perhaps even from one of the bigger sized apartments. The photos I have seen look amazing!
DISCLOSURE - Product reviews are my own personal experience & opinions only. Any products reviewed are not sponsored by the brand unless otherwise stated in the video or within a blog post. I take no responsibility for the products used by anyone, this lays with the companies/businesses and their owners. Please seek all appropriate advice before purchasing and using any of the products seen in my videos or blog posts. This blog post may contain affiliate links. Which means that I may receive a small commission if you purchase through my links. This helps This Mum At Home continue to create content for you all to enjoy!