Another school term nearly done and its time for the winter school holidays bbbrrrrrrrrr lol If you know me I hate winter, absolutely hate it!!! The cold is just something I try and pretend my way through every year, but this winter school holidays I’m embracing and looking forward to some QUALITY time with the family. Check out below for 10 winter activities we want to try these school holidays ...
TIP: Don’t forget to do some pre holiday planning and keep your kid’s daily routines in check for a smooth transition into the holiday's and then settling back to school mode. Keep reading for FREE SCHOOL HOLIDAY PRINTABLES
So what are some great winter holiday ideas you can do as a family?
1. Plan Play Date’s – Most kids have some good friends at school that they miss during the holiday break. Schedule in a few play dates with their parents at the start of the holidays if possible. They then have a couple of days to really look forward to & so do you for a coffee and catch up!
2. Start A Board / Video Game – Start something within the first few days of the holidays. Games like Monopoly, Scrabble, The Game Of Life, Pictopia or your favorite ‘story line’ themed video game can run over many days. It’s the perfect thing to keep kids occupied on a rainy cold winter’s day.
4. Handmade Snow Fun – Do your kids love playing with ‘magic sand’ eg Kinetic Sand ? Then they will love this! Try this simple recipe – 3 cups of baking soda + ½ cup of white conditioner + 1 tble spoon of edible glitter. This fun and easy recipe looks, feels and molds similar to the real thing! You can even build your own snowman!
5. Fun Baking! – Kids love cooking fun things like cakes, cookies and sweets. Especially if they are fun colours and tastes!
This easy rainbow cookie recipe is fantastic to do with the kids when you want a day at home. Not only is it a treat for the day but a perfect snack for the rest of the holidays for any play dates you may have!
6. Explore Nature & Create Leaf Creatures – Rug up with jackets, gloves and a nice warm hat for some nature exploration. Discover how the winter has changed the world around you and then collect some interesting fallen leaves in different shapes and sizes. They will make wonderful leaf creatures. Why not stick them to a piece of art paper for display with a matching background.
Picture - Handmade Charlotte
7. Indoor Play Center Fun – With the coldness of that winter air, indoor play centers are always the ideal place to have that ‘park’ feel but within a warm atmosphere. Keep an eye on your local play centers as they sometimes have holiday deals for entry and extended opening hours.
8. See A Movie – School holidays always bring a new release’s around that time for families to enjoy. Here we have Cars 3, Despicable Me 3 & Spiderman to enjoy. During the school holidays you can usually find ‘adults at kids prices’ tickets.
9. Ten Pin Bowling – Another indoor activity to do with the family, this is perfect to stay warm indoors and get the blood pumping. Checkout your local bowling center for any fun themed days they have like ‘glow in the dark’ bowling or half price Sundays. With ramps and bumpers even the little ones can join the fun!
10. Indoor Mini Golf – A lot of mini golf centers actually have a indoor golf center too. Try your way around the golf coarse with kids of all ages – with those that are young and not really knowing what to do you can still enjoy the fun at just ‘getting the ball in the hole’ rather than keeping a serious score. They will still have fun – and if you really wish the parents and older kids can keep score separately.